On going support of Open3270

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2008 at 5:44 PM
I have been trying to contact Mike Warriner (author of this project) but have been unable to so far.

(If you read this Mike, please post a comment on your desire for this project. I know that you have reqested assistance in the past and may have not received a reply, but it seems that new interest in this project is growing.)

I have also sent an email to staceyw who implemented the Semaphore class (have not heard back yet) about the implementation of it. I believe there is a problem with the Monitor.Wait usage in Semaphore.Aquire. (I will post a seperate dicussion topic on this).

This project has value and potential, even if a refactoring were needed. There seems to have been a few people working independently on fixes and/or enhancements. It would be a good thing if it could be done in a way that would benefit everyone interested in using it.

Anyone who reads this and is using or is interested in using this project, please post a comment (as simple as "ME TOO") so that the interest level can be determined.

Thank you to everyone, in advance,
Clyde

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:02 AM
I concur. The commercial products in this space are in dire need of FOSS competition.

- Michael
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:43 PM
ME TOO
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM
Absolutely.
Apr 19, 2008 at 3:32 PM
I have been working on Open3270 code and have modified the Semaphore class (added Reset() which replaces calls to AquireAll(0) ) and modified the AquireAll(timeout) method so that it doesn't subtract the current time expired from Timeout.Inifinite.............
I'm working on the unnecessary Refreshes that get done...................

Anyone else have anything (changes/mods/bugfixes) to add to this project? (where do we post them?, mike has not responded yet, would like to upload newer version(s) here on this site).
Apr 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2008 at 7:37 PM
I have been working (very part time, along with two others) on putting a usable GUI on top of this thing, We have pretty good attribute support at this point, but are still struggling with a keystroke queueing / synchronization issue which we have not nailed yet. We would like to get host-directed print (printer LU support) working, but don't have a test system to debug against. Can anyone suggest somewhere to test?

We have done some fixes and enhancements in the core of the code (delete key handling, attribute handling, ability to inherit the initial connection in tunneled environments). I would be happy to post our fixes back into the project code base, but don't have time to own it.

- Michael
Apr 25, 2008 at 4:08 AM
If anyone knows of 3270 servers we can test against, please post them.
I have no way to test except build/copy to remote server/see if it works (lots of trace output). I would love to be able to test against 3270 servers from my home-office pc.
BTW wintermute3, igitur may be starting a new project (fork) for the purpose of continuing support of this project.
Apr 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM
Try nwrdc.fsu.edu (port 23).

- Michael
Apr 25, 2008 at 11:30 PM

wintermute3 wrote:
Try nwrdc.fsu.edu (port 23).

- Michael

THANK YOU, wintermute3 (Michael)

Heh, check out the post by Igitur about a fork of this project, we need input.......:)