activity poll

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Hey There,

Is anyone still using this project at all? I wrote a WPF based emulator/visualizer that uses the dll created by this project and am thinking about setting up a new open source project with it. Would there be any interest or offers of help in doing this? On the whole I was quite impressed with this project/component although I think some work is needed as there are certain situtations when the communication channel gets locked when I think the host is waiting for some kind of input from the client - eg the open3270 project itself still needs work so I dont know how much it will be worth developing an emulator/vcisualizer to run it? My thinking is that if a visualisation tool is included with the project (or hosted as a dependent project) it might make fixing the issues with Open3270 a bit easier?

Does anyone have any ideas or comments on this?

Dave

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM
I have not heard any feedback in some time. I have been using this in projects for my office to provide an easier UI than the 3270 emulators. However, i do see the value that can be provided, as right now the only way to "see" what is going on is to use a tail program and watch the debug log file scroll by. I have liberal amounts of screen dumps in my code so that I can keep tabs, but I only make use of them when i am running logging at debug level. Anway, I would interested to see if I might be able to continue contributing in some way, as this is a good base, sure it has osme issues, but overall, i have not had any problems with it in my applications. 
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM

okay well given that at least one other person watches this project then i think it will be worth a go. i do have one question though which is what version of the code are you using? i followed the discussions and it seems that there was a check in error that occurred a few versions back. i think what i'll do is create a standalone project with a reference to a compiled version of this project and see how that goes

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM
I believe I'm still one of the administrators (or even the only), although I did try to hand this over a few years back. If you would like to take on admin rights, please do email me and I can make that happen - I'm not involved in 3270 work anymore but would love for others to improve this project,

Mike

On 26 October 2010 14:44, digitalbanana <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

okay well given that at least one other person watches this project then i think it will be worth a go. i do have one question though which is what version of the code are you using? i followed the discussions and it seems that there was a check in error that occurred a few versions back. i think what i'll do is create a standalone project with a reference to a compiled version of this project and see how that goes

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Open3270@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Open3270@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Hey Mike,

Ah ha so you're the grand creator :-)

Yes that sounds good, I'd be happy to try and take this project on. I must admit my knowledge of mainframe access and datastreams isn't the greatest but I have a large amount of experience developing in .Net. The main problem I've had with Open3270 is when I try to run it against fandezhi.efglobe.com (the only public facing mainframe i can find) when i select the TSO region it just hangs and I cant find any documentation (from IBM etc) anywhere suggesting what should happen and I know its handleable because two different emulators that I've tried both process that command ok so Im a bit stumped. Could you point me the direction of anywhere I might find information about what to do? Also if you ggrant me admin rights to the project I will incorporate the visualizer that i built.

Cheers

Dave

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Thank you - great to have you on board. It's been a long time since I last did any 3270 work, but if you google TN3270 then there are some documents around - I just searched and they are not on any of the machines I'm currently using.

Might be worth talking to igitur too since he has been contributing various patches,

Good luck,

Mike

On 27 October 2010 16:14, digitalbanana <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hey Mike,

Ah ha so you're the grand creator :-)

Yes that sounds good, I'd be happy to try and take this project on. I must admit my knowledge of mainframe access and datastreams isn't the greatest but I have a large amount of experience developing in .Net. The main problem I've had with Open3270 is when I try to run it against fandezhi.efglobe.com (the only public facing mainframe i can find) when i select the TSO region it just hangs and I cant find any documentation (from IBM etc) anywhere suggesting what should happen and I know its handleable because two different emulators that I've tried both process that command ok so Im a bit stumped. Could you point me the direction of anywhere I might find information about what to do? Also if you ggrant me admin rights to the project I will incorporate the visualizer that i built.

Cheers

Dave

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 07:03:59 -0700
Subject: Re: activity poll [Open3270:232337]

I believe I'm still one of the administrators (or even the only), although I did try to hand this over a few years back. If you would like to take on admin rights, please do email me and I can make that happen - I'm not involved in 3270 work anymore but would love for others to improve this project,

Mike

On 26 October 2010 14:44, digitalbanana <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Open3270@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email Open3270@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Hi,

Sorry for my silence. I didn't have notifications of new topics enabled and I don't monitor this project regularly. Notifications now enabled.

Mike handed the project over to me some time ago. I'm not an expert on 3270, but I just consolidated all the fixes that people were posting in the discussions and committed them.

I'm also aware of the lock issue, but Open3270 is difficult to test because of the few servers available. It seems to work fine on our server. Patches welcome though.

I welcome the idea of a WPF-based emulator.

regards,
Francois

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Hi,

I am trying to use this library in a windows form application.

Well, i am able to launch my mainframe application(H30-7060-Z/OS 1.4 Application) on the form. when i enter application sign-on "TSO" then it takes me to next screen which asks for UserID. My problem starts from here.

On this screen i get green horizontal lines.

Again, if i enter User ID then it takes me to next screen which But after crossing first two screen, i am getting an error "IP 190 UNABLE TO ESTABLISH SESSION - PROCESS FAILED WITH SENSE 00004002."

Moreover, i am new to mainframes. So, can anybody tell me how to find the protocol which a mainframe application uses?

Thanks,

Ad

Developer
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I'm having a similar problem with the sense 00004002 message.  Everything is cool until I log in.  I wonder if it's a security problem.

Josh

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:38 PM

There seems to be a problem with the tip build of this project....   I use the 55326 build and it works for me.  The tip build causes my Cics app to flag a telnet error.  I think some of the intervening changes introduced a bug into the telnet stack.  If you are getting the sense 000004002 message, try using build 55326 and let me know if it works.  I can examine the patches made to the telnet portion of the program after this build and see if a bug was introduced. 

X

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I haven't used this in a while due to other commitments, I too had the problem with the latest version of the code was erroring but my knowledge of mainframes is so limited I don't know why.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do about this? Rolling it back etc? How about forking it from the last known good branch? I have a WPF terminal window that I developed a few months ago that I found useful in debugging the open3270 component. Maybe we could create a new project? ANy comments?

Cheers

Dave

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I’m for splitting off from the best known version. If we create an interface, it application will be usable for a lot of people, that cannot use it today.

Scott

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Hey Scott,
Sorry for the delay in replying - I have a lot going on at the moment ;-)
Okay I'll create new project on CodePlex - it will be fork of the Open3270 project at the last known good build and I'll also add in my WP console emulator. Once its done 'll email you the details and give you commit rights.
Hopefully I'll get it done this week - with a bit of luck there will be some mainframe guru out there who can solve the probs with the communication whereby certain response cause the app to hang I tried but didnt get anywhere
Cheers
Dave

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:50:55 -0700
Subject: Re: activity poll [Open3270:232337]

I’m for splitting off from the best known version. If we create an interface, it application will be usable for a lot of people, that cannot use it today.
Scott
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Dudes... i'm the maintainer of Open3270. I took it over from Mike Warriner. I'm not technically very good with the TN3270 protocol, but I can handle the admin side of the project. 

If you have a problem with this project, please submit a patch and I'll include it. Creating a fork doesn't solve much of the problem.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

The problem is that at some point in the past there was a good reliable mostly working codebase in the trunk but a load of patches have been applied and it no longer works. I have limited knowledge of the 3270 protocol so am not sure why the patches were made and for that reason wouldn't want to roll them back. My proposal would be take a copy of the codebase at the point in time it worked and create a new codeplex project that includes this code and the WPF terminal emulator/visualiser that I created. I also found while I was working on the code in this project that there is a reasonable amount of refactoring that could take place - creating a new project would mean that doing this would not affect this project adversely. The code in its working state was allowing to connection to mainframe end points but there was a minor problem in certain situations - in its current form i have not been able to connect at all - have you? if its recoverable then recover it and let me know and i'll add my visualizer to this project?

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Sorry, but I disagree. The version that was in trunk before the patches was applied wasn't very reliable or stable.  That's the reason why people were submitting patches in the forums.

At that stage I contacted Mike Warriner and he handed control over to me. I took all the patches and applied them to trunk (creating a fork for each patch first). You can see the links to the forum posts in the SVN log. I must admit that it was very difficult to test each patch myself, so I applied the patched in good trust. Obviously something went missing.

If you can help to identify exactly which patch broke trunk, I'll be happy to review the forum post and contact the patch contributor to sort out the problem. 

But I think forking the project is just going to divide the efforts and create confusion among future users. Let's rather focus the little involvement there is on fixing this project.

So, in the meantime, if you can confirm that it really is the LAST patch that breaks trunk, it would help.

Francois

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Specifically, it seems one of the patches submitted by Chris Hulbert on http://open3270.codeplex.com/discussions/26746 might have broken trunk. I'll have to rollback and test to verify this though.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to use this code in my setup (connection goes through Host Integration Server 2000). Doesn't work as expected but at least we can get first login screen. Is there any documentation available?

There are still people willing to work on the project but without documentation it's too hard to get in.

Developer
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I went through all of the changes, and found that the following lines (around line 2100) in Telnet.cs were causing the issue.
if ((e_funcs & E_OPT(TN3270E_FUNC_RESPONSES)) != 0)  
    h.response_flag = TN3270E_HEADER.TN3270E_RSF_ALWAYS_RESPONSE;
else
Get rid of those lines to fix the problem...and potentially introduce a new one.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Skwerl wrote:
I went through all of the changes, and found that the following lines (around line 2100) in Telnet.cs were causing the issue.
if ((e_funcs & E_OPT(TN3270E_FUNC_RESPONSES)) != 0)  
    h.response_flag = TN3270E_HEADER.TN3270E_RSF_ALWAYS_RESPONSE;
else
Get rid of those lines to fix the problem...and potentially introduce a new one.
Great! Can you perhaps trace it to a specific commit that broke it?